Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Dear Friends and Family,


Today is Tuesday, and we are safely in Kiev. The last of the process went off without a hitch, and we are legally a family. We are so very happy, and relieved all at once. We are right now full time parents, and are learning how to feed them, bathe them, put them to bed, etc.

The trip back to Kiev was quite the adventure. Because New Year's is the major holiday here, there was no chance of getting train tickets or plane tickets. That left...driving. We asked Zhinia if he wanted to squeeze a drive across the country into his day around his two jobs, and he said yes. Because the day was jam packed with paperwork and running around town, we didn't start leaving until 7 pm. After multiple potty breaks and getting some snacks, we were headed out of town around 8. Since it was snowing and traffic was slippin' and slidin', we knew it would take longer than the stated 8 hours. We didn't have a lot of extra time, because we had a doctor's appointment at 8:30 the next morning, which is a required step before obtaining citizenship for the boys.

We could tell you about the trip, but I think the boys would have the more interesting perspective. Here's what I think they would say, I think, if they could write in English:

William:

It started off as a perfectly normal day, and I was quite happy playing with my friends and caregivers. I was wondering where Mama and Papa, which means "play friends who come twice a day to give me snacks," were. They showed up late, and started talking some nonsense about taking me somewhere forever. I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd cry and scream for a bit. The director tried to tell me to stop, but I was really upset, especially when she said she needed to change me into some new clothes. She got me naked, but I put up quite a fuss, and she had to give me to my caregivers to get me dressed. After I had them on, I liked them though, so I stopped crying for a little bit.

After that, everyone started talking about leaving again, and I started crying again, but then they said all that I had to do was go for a walk, so I needed to put on my coat. Everyone said goodbye, and were making a big deal about going for this walk. Then they took me outside, and there was...a car! Treachery! I was duped! There wasn't going to be any walk, I WAS leaving! By golly, this really upset me, and I let them know it! They forced me into the car, which was too small for all of us--my brother, me, Mama, Papa, Elena and the driver.

The driver started playing a movie on his little TV in the car, and this was pretty good. I don't know what it was, but Mama and Papa called it something like "A Shark's Tale." I liked it so much, I forgot what I was crying about.

We left the orphanage, and stopped to buy some snacks. Papa gave me crackers and juice, and everything seemed OK, except I started to get a tickle in my tummy. After a while, it got worse, and I tried to tell Mama, whose lap I was on, that the crackers were asking to come back up. She just looked at me funny, but when the crackers DID come up all over her, I think she understood. The crackers kept coming up all night long, but Mama understood and kept catching them with a plastic bag.

I was very excited about all the lights outside the window, and riding in the car, but eventually I fell asleep, and stayed that way until the sun was coming up. I hope these people don't make me sleep in a car at my new home!

Lawrence:

I couldn't wait all day, and was so excited! I couldn't even eat breakfast or lunch! When Mama and Papa finally showed I was smiling all over! My little brother was crying and acting like a baby, though. I was sad when I had to say goodbye to everyone, but was happy because, like the director told me, I was going somewhere new with a new Mama and Papa, and life would be very happy for me (even if my little brother has to tag along...)

The car ride was fun, but my little brother puked all over Mama, as well as all over his new clothes. It smelled so bad, which is maybe why I threw up all over Papa and HIS pants and MY new clothes. The crazy ride in the car didn't help, but I felt better after we stopped and cleaned up.

I was very excited, and stayed awake a very long time, but couldn't help it. I eventually fell asleep on Papa's lap.

(Bill writing)

It was a cramped and hot ride, bouncing all over the place. Zhinia got lost a few times, as the roads do not bypass cities, and it is difficult to drive cleanly through unless you know your way around. It's funny, we were driving straight from the country's second largest city to its largest, but were on dirt roads on several occasions. Go figure.

We don't have too much to worry about these next few days, and plan on relaxing and getting some souvenirs.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and we can't wait to see you all in a few days.


Peace and Love,

Bill, Kelly, Lawrence & William

4 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Glad you are on your way home! Happy New Year!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Kimbell and Mark said...

Yikes - you know you're really a parent when you've been puked all over!!! Hope the plane ride home is smoother! Enjoy the journey - you'll be home soon!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger conradquiltmaker said...

So glad to hear everything went off went out a hitch. God Bless you all and take care, can't waite to meet your new family. Now I will do the socks.
Love
Pat

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Yeah!
I have finally been able to catch up a bit since coming home! Congrats on your new family!

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home