Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday the 10th

All,

We're killing time today, since only afternoon visits are allowed on
Sundays. Cabin fever is creeping in, but it's not too bad yet.

Here's the schedule we've settled into:

8:30 get up
10:00 meet our driver to take us to the orphanage
10:00 - 12:00 meet the boys
12:00 - 3:00 get groceries / blog / eat lunch
3:30 - 5:00 meet the boys
5:30 - eat dinner / play computer games / watch 24 / read

We are starting to miss the days of Kiev when we were free to walk around. Downtown is safe here, but we don't think it's safe walking around our apartment, and we only have the driver from 10 - 5:30.

The older boy is taking an interest in his potential family. Whenever one of the children take out a photo album, he asked us for his so that he can show his family off. He also was very pleased when he asked for and received pictures of us so that he could keep in his locker and show to his classmates. As far as the little one, he's main interest is the Bosco pictures and destroying the book.

We've learned that we've got to keep a better eye on what the younger guy has been eating. We bring raisins, yogurt, cookies and juice, and all other parents are bringing snacks as well. As we mentioned before, all these kids seem to have been trained to share, so all the food collectively becomes a community buffet of sorts. Yesterday the doctor warned us that he got a tummy ache after our morning visit, so we'll have to keep his hands away from all the food.

Since news is slower these days, we thought we'd start something new.
When we get around to writing one, we'll add a TOP 10 list for fun
(anything to kill time...) Here's the first:


TOP 10 THINGS WE MISS FROM HOME

10. Buildings with thermostats (it's hot everywhere!)
9. A kitchen with a full set of cookware and tools
8. Public toilets that you don't have to pay for
7. Non-Dance music (that's all they play here!)
6. Our mattress
5. Charmin
4. The Purple Room (Kelly's classroom)
3. Family & Friends
2. Jasper! (our cat)
1. Bosco! (our dog)

It was nice to hear from Brooklyn, glad you approve of the ages. We can't wait to ask you to help teach the boys how to speak English.

Lisa, it was nice to hear that you had a good birthday; it sounds like the fellas gave you a nice day.

We would love to hear some news from home, if anyone wants to update us
on the goings on.


Peace and Love,

Bill & Kelly

6 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger conradquiltmaker said...

Hi Bill & Kelly
It's great hearing from you no matter what you write.Its great hearing your story about the boys, I can't waite too meet them. The purple room misses you alot, can't waite till you are back. William says to say hi. Just think about what you are going to be bringing home and how happy you are going to be and your days will fly by.
Miss You
Pat

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Bill and Kelly and boys,
I laughed at your top 10 list. So clever Bill. I think about the day on the beach we tried to gather the kids when none of us had the skills to communicate. LIfe is good and adventureous. What fun we will all have as we laugh while trying to connect. My routine has been to walk to the beach and skip stones whilst making wishes for those I love. I shall be skipping 4 for you and your new family today. Love and peace
Aunt San

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooo excited to meet the boys! Joel says finally SOME MORE BOYS(any video game advice-he's their man)!Shelby say's "they look just like american humans".Disiplining kids is never easy-in fact its in some ways the hardest thing to do-but in front of an audience is worse!Dean and I have been there a time or two. You can't go wrong if you act out of love, so i have no doubt in your abilities.missing you so much-all our love and support,Kathleen

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly and Bill!!!!
Your Mom told me about this site and I've been reading all you wrote. I'm so happy for you both. After such a long time it's great to see things going your way. Your Mom told me a bit about the boys, she's so excited. I'm going to go thru the archives and catch up on everything but I was so excited to find this site I read what I found first :) On top of starting your family .. what an experience you are having. It's funny how things work. A quick note about things here. Ashley said to tell you both Hello, even though she doesn't know Bill. I haven't gotten a chance to show Sarah the site yet but I know she's going to be really interested in what's going on. She's been pretty busy with her boys, all 3 of them have been sick but are on the mend now. As for Andy, he gets to come home for Christmas!! I did get to see him for a couple of days in November, he came home on emergency leave for 4 days. I had a stent put in but I'm doing great now. Your Mom wouldn't let me have it done without having someone there with me so she and Aunt Edith (I think) came up to be with me. Your Mom is something.. she always come thru in a pinch.. :)
Well that's enough about us for now, I want to get back to reading.. :) Love you all,
Aunt Lynn

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Billy and Kelly,
I first saw pictures of the boys on Thursday. I printed copies and showed them off to my friends at work, like a proud aunt. Have fun bonding with the boys. I hope everything goes smoothly and you become parents soon. I think of you often and send all my love. Rebecca

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...sorry we didn't get to write you messages on Friday. We were making snowflakes...lots and lots of snowflakes! We thought it was time to take down the monsters from the bulletin board and put up a new one. I used your bulletin board book...we all liked this one - "People are like snowflakes...each one is unique." We didn't know how the boys in class would like making snowflakes, but they loved it! Go figure, they wanted to keep making more and more. Jordan D. and Angelo had their own little snowflake factory going on. Judy took pictures of each of the kids to put in the center of the snowflakes and Pat fixed up the pics and printed them for us. Don't know what I would do without them! Also, we got a new student...a girl! It is great to hear all about your days in the Ukraine. I am sure the waiting is very difficult, but each day is one step closer and then you'll all be home! I miss you, Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home